Last updated: May 18, 2018
This Policy is incorporated as part of the terms of any agreement that you have with CHS. When you use our Services, you acknowledge this Policy and our privacy practices, including our use and disclosure of your personal information.
If you do not agree with the terms of this Policy, please do not use our Services or provide any personal information.
If you decline to provide certain information when requested, we may not be able to provide the Services for which you have contracted or requested.
What personal information we collect and the purpose of processing
CHS collects and uses personal information from you in several ways for the following purposes:
We receive your personal information (your name, address, telephone number, and email address) to process your orders and invoices, to communicate with you, and to provide customer service.
Directly from you through Site forms
We receive the personal information you submit to us (e.g., name, address, telephone number, and email address) to process feedback forms, requests for information, and registration for industry events. We also use the services of third-party service providers to publicize and accept applications for available career and intern positions with CHS and member cooperatives.
Comply with legal requirements
We also use your personal information to comply with legal requirements.
Information about Site usage and electronic messages we send
CHS does not use automatic decision-making or engage in profiling.
Where to turn with questions
Attn: Privacy Office
5500 Cenex Drive
Inver Grove Heights, MN 55077 USA
What’s covered by this Policy
Any CHS-affiliated site, product or service that links to this Policy and any collection, storage, transfer, sharing, disclosure and handling of your personal information when you use our Services which we define below.
Third-party data sources
CHS may leverage external data sources in order to provide context and background on the users of its services in order to improve customer experience, mitigate fraud or malicious activity or comply with internal company and external regulatory requirements.
How we may share your personal information
We share your personal information with non-affiliated third parties only as disclosed in this Policy.
CHS may transfer your personal information to:
- Worldwide CHS subsidiaries and non-affiliated partners and joint-venture companies to assist us in providing, maintaining and operating our services or marketing. These companies are required to comply with the principles set out in this Policy, and only use such information for the purposes for which it was provided to them;
- A third-party, in the event of a proposed or actual purchase, sale (including a liquidation, realization, foreclosure or repossession, or sale at bankruptcy), lease, merger, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, transfer, conveyance or financing of all or any portion of its business or of any assets or shares of our business or a division thereof in order for you to continue to receive the same or similar products and services from the third-party. In such an event, we will provide notice of any material change to this Policy or our products and services, in the manner described in this Policy. In these circumstances, personal information may be shared with the actual or prospective purchasers or assignees or with the newly-acquired business.
CHS may also disclose your personal information to law enforcement or to service providers that are engaged by us for the purposes of:
- Complying with the law and/or legal process in which a formal request has been made (e.g., a request from an administrative oversight agency, civil suit, subpoena, court order or judicial or administrative proceeding);
- Defending our rights and/or property or the rights and property of others;
- Responding to claims that the content(s) of a communication violates the rights of another;
- Detecting, preventing or otherwise addressing fraud, security, or technical issues.
We may also disclose your personal information for any other purpose disclosed at the time of data collection or sharing.
Security of your personal information
We have implemented technical and organizational measures designed to provide appropriate levels of security for your personal information. Reasonable administrative, logical, and physical controls are in place to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used, or accessed in unauthorized ways.
How long we keep your personal information
To determine the appropriate retention period for information before we securely destroy it, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your information, the purposes for which we process your information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
In some circumstances we may anonymize your personal information so that it can no longer be associated with you, in which case we may use such information without further notice to you.
How you are notified of changes to this Policy
We may change this Policy from time to time. If we do, we will post the updated Policy with the last revised date. You acknowledge that your continued use of our services after we publish or send a notice about our changes to this Policy means that the collection, use and sharing of your personal information is subject to the updated Policy. You should periodically read the Policy to understand our privacy practices.
Accuracy of personal information
While we take various steps to ensure the accuracy and completeness of your Information, we rely upon you to provide accurate and complete Information when interacting with us.
Your rights in connection with your personal information
Under certain circumstances, and as required by law, you may have the right to:
- Request access to your personal information. This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you.
- Request correction of any incomplete or inaccurate personal information that we hold about you.
- Request erasure of your personal information when there is no need for us continuing to process it or you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information to suspend the processing, for example if you want us to verify its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal information to another party.
If you want to exercise any of these rights, please contact the CHS Privacy Office in writing per the ‘Where to turn with questions’ section of this Policy. Valid requests will be honored within 30 calendar days of request. This 30-day period may be extended for another 2 months for complex requests, with notification of the reasons for the extension to you.
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal information (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request for access is unfounded or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with the request in such circumstances. In addition, there may be requests that we are unable to process because of other legal requirements. If a request is denied, we will notify you of the reason.
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access the information (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is another appropriate security measure to ensure that personal information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it.
If you are located in the European Union (EU), you have the right to lodge a complaint with the EU Supervisory Authority in your country of residence. However, if you have a complaint regarding the processing of your personal information, we request that you first contact the CHS Privacy Office, and we will reply on a timely basis.
International transfers of personal data
Please be aware that the personal data we collect may be transferred to and maintained on servers or databases located outside your state, province, country, or other jurisdiction, where the privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your location. If you are located outside of the United States, please be advised that we process and store personal data in the United States. CHS has executed standard contractual clauses to legitimize these data transfers.
Individuals under the age of 16
This CHS Site and Services are not directed to individuals under the age of 16. If you are under 16 or otherwise would be required to have parent or guardian consent to share information with CHS, you should not send any information about yourself to us. If we become aware that an individual under the age of 16 provided us with their personal information, we will delete or de-identify this information as soon as possible.
As it pertains to users of our Services who are located in the EU, the controller of your personal information is CHS Inc., 5500 Cenex Drive, Inver Grove Heights MN 55077 USA.