We are a global supplier of confection sunflower and sunflower kernel for major snack and food brand manufacturers, and food service companies. CHS is also an industry leader in hybrid sunflower seed development.
We provide the freshest and finest because we buy direct from growers, setting the standard of product purity and performance.
We are your partner in setting a new level of customer satisfaction with superior product quality, proven commitment to food safety, unmatched service levels and dependability you only get from someone who cares as much about growing your business as you do. Learn more about our industry-leading process and roasting capabilities.
Inshell sunflower seeds are a nutritious, convenient snacking choice around the world. High in protein and fiber, and naturally low in carbohydrates, they are among the best whole-grain source of Vitamin E. Large in both size and taste, these seeds are available raw or roasted with salt.
- Agway XL-10 – Extra-long type inshell; non-GMO
- Agway XL-8 – Smaller extra-long inshell; non-GMO
- Agway XT – Largest conventional inshell; non-GMO
- Agway 24/64 – Very large conventional type inshell; non-GMO
- Agway 22/64 – Large conventional type inshell; non-GMO
- Agway 20/64 – Medium conventional type inshell; non-GMO
Food companies favor the sunflower kernel as a flavorful and nutritious ingredient for a variety of commercial uses including prepackaged or industrial food service formulations. Bakers appreciate this cost-efficient way to add taste, texture and eye appeal to a variety of baked goods. Kernels require no prep, such as chopping, are shelf-stable, and are not a major allergen. Consumers choose them as an important source of protein, fiber, lipids, minerals and vitamins. With a subtle nutty flavor, crunchy sunflower kernels bring distinction to any formulation. Available raw or ready-to-eat (RTE), pasteurized or roasted and with or without salt
- 350-450 CPO* – Very large confection kernel; largest in the industry. Best suited for trail mixes, toppings and premium snack applications; non-GMO
- 450-650 CPO* – Large confection kernel; well suited for all applications; non-GMO
- Bakery – Small kernel; well suited as an ingredient; non-GMO
*CPO = count per ounce
Roasting and pasteurization
Roasting is available for both kernel and inshell sunflowers; oil roasted for kernel and dry roasted for inshell. Our roasting and pasteurization services are located within the same facility for maximum efficiency and food-handling security.
- Pasteurization of raw food products continues to trend higher as consumers become more discerning about food safety. The process of pasteurization reduces pathogens to an acceptable level for consumption.
- Three-step pasteurization process with a validated 5 log reduction:
- Water activity, temperature, relative humidity, airflow, air quantity and dwell time are controlled to effectively pasteurize the product while maintaining its original characteristics.
- Equipment specifically engineered for sunflower kernel
- Continuous flow process for consistent product treatment
- Fully automated process designed for gentle handling of product
- No post-pasteurization drying required
- Improved shelf life
As a global leader in the confectionary sunflower processing industry, CHS was the first sunflower processor to offer the industry-leading Log5 pasteurization technology. This allows CHS to provide a full line of processing services – oil roasted, dry roasted and pasteurized products – to its food company and ingredients customers.
The Log5 technology is unique in its ability to enable pasteurization without changing texture, taste or overall sensory characteristics of food products. The three-step process with validated 5 log reduction is fully automated, provides for gentle handling of the product, and requires no post-pasteurization drying.
In addition to pasteurization services, the CHS plant in Fargo, N.D. offers expanded, custom-roasting capabilities for both kernel (oil) and inshell (dry roasted) sunflowers.
- Roasted and salted kernel and inshell are available as well as roasted and unsalted kernel.
- Packaging can be customized from 1 oz. snack packs to 2,000 lb. totes.
- Retail packaging is available.
- Custom roasting is available.
- Non-GMO, allergen free sunflower oil used for roasting
Food safety and security
The CHS commitment to food safety and security is evident across our business, with SQF-certified facilities and industry-leading pasteurization technology.
CHS was the first in its industry to utilize pasteurization technology specifically engineered for sunflowers. This natural process reduces pathogens to an acceptable level for consumption; for sunflowers, it can also improve shelf life. Water activity, temperature, relative humidity, airflow, air quantity and dwell time are controlled to effectively pasteurize the product while maintaining its original characteristics.
Current facility certifications
CHS maintains a record of current facility certifications, which are available upon request. Contact us to learn more.
CHS offers a variety of packaging options from bulk to bags, 1 oz. snack packs to 2,000-lb. totes. Custom and private-label retail packaging is also available. Our standard packaging includes:
- Multi-wall paper bag (25 lb, 50 lb, 25kg)
- Corr-Vac® (25 lb or 2,000 lb tote)
Growing sunflowers with CHS
"I think there is a lot of value in having a cooperative involved in marketing and processing our crops so we have a strong market."
- Jamie Routledge