CHS Global Privacy Notice
Last updated: September 25th, 2020
This Notice covers both CHS online and offline data collection activities, including personal information that we collect through various channels such as websites, applications, contracts, points of sale, and events. As used in this Notice, CHS includes CHS Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates.
Personal information means information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a consumer or household.
This Privacy Notice is incorporated as part of the terms of any agreement that you have with CHS. When you use CHS services, you acknowledge this Notice and associated privacy practices, including the use and disclosure of your personal information.
If you do not agree with the terms of this Notice, please do not use CHS services or provide any personal information. If you decline to provide certain information when requested, CHS may not be able to provide the services for which you have contracted or requested.
What’s covered by this Notice
This Notice covers any CHS-affiliated website, product or service that links to this Notice and any collection, storage, transfer, sharing, disclosure or handling of your personal information when you use CHS services.
This Notice does not cover, and CHS is not responsible for, third-party websites or applications that may be linked from CHS affiliated websites; linking to them does not imply an endorsement. CHS is not responsible for these websites or applications or any information they may collect. You should always review the privacy notice of any third-party website or application.
Personal information CHS collects
The following personal information is collected by CHS:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, information sent to us by your web browser, email address, account name, or other similar identifiers;
- Background information such as professional associations, certifications, work history, and education history;
- Financial Information such as credit card number, debit card number, CENEX Card numbers, income, transactions, credit information, taxation information, and other similar financial information;
- Demographic information such as age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, sex, veteran or military status;
- Health related information such as medical conditions, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including familial genetic information), pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions; and
- Commercial information such as records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
How CHS uses Personal Information
CHS collects personal information provided voluntarily or with consent to its collection. CHS may process your personal information when one or more of the following conditions exist:
(i) With your consent, or
(ii) To perform or enter into contracts with you, or
(iii) In conformance with legitimate business interests (maintaining books and records, maintaining the security and integrity of affiliated websites and systems, enforcing the terms and conditions and Privacy Notice associated with affiliated websites and systems, monitoring the use and performance of affiliated websites and systems, quality assurance of customer service operations, and product improvement and development), or
(iv) To comply with legal obligations. Where processing is based on consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. To withdraw your consent, contact the CHS Privacy Office in writing per the ‘Contact Us’ section of this Notice, or
(v) To protect vital interests. Where processing is necessary in order to protect the vital interests of the data subject, or
(vi) In support of public interests. Where processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller.
CHS may use your personal information for any of the following purposes:
CHS uses personal information collected through affiliated websites for the purpose of:
- Processing feedback forms;
- Responding to requests for information, questions, or comments;
- Registering for industry events;
- Fulfilling subscription requests; and to
- Fulfill or process orders and invoices.
CHS uses personal information to deliver services including, but not limited to:
- Processing transactions, fulfilling subscriptions, and processing credit applications;
- Administer and perform services, including to carry out obligations arising from any agreements entered between you and CHS;
- Provide and deliver the information you request, process contributions and send confirmations, technical notices, updates, security alerts, support and administrative messages;
- Enter in or perform a contract with you or your company;
- Enable CHS to perform obligations, offer services, and provide communication to clients, third party business partners and/or service providers; and
- Analyze with the intent to improve performance, services, and fix errors.
CHS uses personal information to tailor advertisements, to include, but not limited to:
- Provide details about new services or products.CHS will include an option for you to opt-out of such communications;
- Target marketing and advertising offers;
- Share and/or disclose information to prospective business partners and for other lawful purposes;
- Better understand you and/or clients’ services, business requirements, to better understand the business environment, and develop products, services and offerings; and
- Request information or otherwise contact you regarding the business, products, services or affiliated websites.
CHS uses personal information to provide necessary security controls including, but not limited to:
- Personal information to verify your identity;
- Video surveillance, to provide physical protection of personnel, hardware, software, networks and data from unauthorized physical access;
- Detecting, preventing or otherwise addressing fraud, security, or technical issues; and
- Protecting CHS rights and the rights of other website users, third party business partners, clients or service providers.
Comply with legal requirements
CHS uses personal information to comply with legal requirements including, but not limited to:
- Enable CHS to process applications for employment and to assess your suitability for any position for which you may apply;
- Track and report on workplace illnesses and injuries and maintain crisis management plans;
- Fulfill legal and regulatory or risk management obligations or to protect the rights of CHS, business partners, service providers, clients and other website users;
- Complying with the law and/or legal process in which a formal request has been made (e.g., a request from an administrative oversight agency, civil suit, subpoena, court order or judicial or administrative proceeding);
- Defending the rights and/or property of CHS or the rights and property of others;
- Responding to claims that the content(s) of a communication violates the rights of another.
How CHS Uses Third-party Data Sources
CHS does not sell personal information to third parties. If CHS changes their position, notice will be provided and you will have the opportunity to direct CHS not to sell your personal information. CHS will not sell personal information of minors without affirmative authorization.
CHS shares your personal information with non-affiliated third parties only as disclosed in this Notice. CHS may transfer your personal information to:
- Worldwide CHS subsidiaries and non-affiliated partners and joint-venture companies to assist CHS in providing, maintaining and operating services or marketing. These companies are required to comply with the principles set out in this Notice, and only use such information for the purposes for which it was provided to them;
- A third-party, in the event of a proposed or actual purchase, sale (including a liquidation, realization, foreclosure or repossession, or sale at bankruptcy), lease, merger, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, transfer, conveyance or financing of all or any portion of its business or of any assets or shares of CHS or a division thereof in order for you to continue to receive the same or similar products and services from the third-party. In such an event, CHS will provide notice of any material change to this Notice or products and services, in the manner described in this Notice. In these circumstances, personal information may be shared with the actual or prospective purchasers or assignees or with the newly acquired business.
- While CHS does not provide your personal information to third parties for their use in marketing, California residents have the right to opt-out of such use of your personal information if it occurs.
Below is additional information concerning the processing of personal information of prospective and current customers located in specific jurisdictions.
How to Contact CHS Concerning Your Personal Information
To request copies of or deletion of your personal information, or if you have any questions, comments or concerns about this Privacy Notice, please contact the CHS Privacy Office by postal mail, email, telephone or online at:
Attn: Privacy Office
5500 Cenex Drive
Inver Grove Heights, MN 55077 USA
If you have a question or concern regarding your individual rights, email the CHS Privacy Team at: Contact CHS
You have a right not to receive discriminatory treatment by CHS for the exercise of the privacy rights contained in this Privacy Notice and as required by law.
How Long CHS Keeps Personal Information
To determine the appropriate retention period for information before CHS securely destroys it, CHS considers the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your information, the purposes for which CHS processes your information and whether CHS can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
In some circumstances CHS may anonymize your personal information so it can no longer be associated with you, in which case CHS may use the information without further notice to you.
How You will be Notified of Changes to this Notice
CHS may change this Notice from time to time. If CHS does, the updated Notice will be posted with the last revised date and CHS will post a prominent notice on its sites prior to the effective date of the changes. You acknowledge your continued use of CHS services after the updated Notice is published and the collection, use and sharing of your personal information is subject to the updated Notice. You should periodically read this Notice to understand CHS privacy practices.
How CHS Secures Your Personal Information
CHS has implemented technical and organizational measures designed to provide appropriate levels of security of your personal information.
How CHS Handles International Transfers of Personal Information
Please be aware the personal information CHS collects may be transferred to and maintained on servers or databases located outside your state, province, country, or other jurisdiction, where the privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your location. If you are located outside of the United States, please be advised that CHS processes and stores personal information in the United States. CHS has executed the EU Standard Contractual Clauses to safeguard your personal information if transferred outside of the EU.
How CHS Manages Children’s Privacy
CHS may collect personal information from children under the age of 18 through affiliated websites, applications, contacts, or point of sale events for the purposes of employment, youth and scholarship programs, credit applications and other requested services. This information may include name, contact information, family member names, education history, date of birth, or social security number depending on the requested services.
If you are a parent or guardian of a child under the age of 18 and would like their information removed, CHS requests that you contact the CHS Privacy Office. The contact details for the CHS Privacy Office can be found earlier in this notice. CHS will take appropriate steps to remove that personal information.